RETRO-INSPIRED FAMILY CHRISTMAS CARDS
We’ve been using Vistaprint for our holiday cards for a few years now, but I think this year takes the cake! I had the idea of an all pink, fun and kitschy holiday card when I saw this hot pink vintage dress my friends Juli and Jeri had on their restyled page. They immediately helped me find a coordinating pink suit for Cameron and I knew we had to find the perfect location. We pinned a ton of inspiration photos to Pinterest and that gave us great ideas and got us all on the same page.
We rounded up the pups and shot with Brasspenny Photography at the most amazing PINK Airstream by House of Adora in East Nashville. Mimi helped us bribe the dogs with treats and was the best assistant. 🙂 I think dogs are probably harder to pose than kids! Vistaprint has an awesome selection of holiday cards. We designed three different options and I honestly can’t choose a favorite! I especially love their embossed foil designs and the process is super easy. I think this ‘Holiday Cheer’ design really highlights the vibe I was going for with the shoot. Below I’m sharing a few of my best tips for shooting family holiday photos!
- Pick a theme. For our pink and retro-inspired shoot, I based everything off of the pink dress and airstream. This made the overall look cohesive and playful.
- Pin your inspiration. We pinned a ton of inspiration images to our Pinterest board for this campaign and our holiday shoot. I shared the board with Cameron and our photographer. This was super helpful in getting everyone on the same page. Whether you’re looking for pose or backdrop inspiration, Pinterest is always a great way to get your creativity flowing.
- Add PROPS! When in doubt, just add props. We added a retro tinsel tree from Hobby Lobby which gave our set-up a perfect pop of Christmas without compromising our pink and red color scheme.
- Come prepared. Whether you’ve got dogs or kids (or even just a cranky husband), come prepared! We had Mimi bribe our dogs with a bag of treats the entire time and it worked like a charm.
- Coordinate outfits, but not too match-matchy! For our photos, I dressed everyone (including the pups) in shades of pink. I let Cameron pick out his suit and even though it had a total different vibe from my dress, it all worked well together. We even tied in the dogs by giving Puddles a Santa hat and Cooper wore a tree skirt around his collar. Ha!
- Find the right photographer. You definitely want someone your whole family feels comfortable around to get those true candid and playful moments. I have learned the importance of this through watching Cameron do his thing. He is so good with kids and giving families direction, and that really shows in all of his images.
- Coordinate your card to the photos. When searching through card designs on Vistaprint, I kept an eye out for retro-inspired fonts and colors within our scheme. Each one gives the photos a different feel, but I love how all of them turned out! They truly have designs to fit every theme.
- Just have fun! Cam and I always love having photos taken of us together because it’s never stressful and always fun! Preserving memories like these are so worth it and although Cam doesn’t always love coming out from behind the lens, he has a blast every time he does. Often times holiday photos can seem stressful or overwhelming but at the end of the day it’s such a fun time to create memories so just remember to relax and enjoy the process.
You can get 50% off your Vistaprint holiday cards and other gifts with code VPCARDS They have tons of items to choose from including photo books and wall art!
Which is your favorite holiday card design? 1, 2 or 3?